Topbar Left

Work Permit

If you are a foreign national and want to work temporarily in Canada, you may need a work permit. A work permit is a document that allows you to work in Canada for a specified period of time.

To apply for a work permit, you will need to meet certain requirements, including:

  • A job offer from a Canadian employer To apply for a work permit, you will need a job offer from a Canadian employer. The employer will need to obtain a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) to show that there is a need for a foreign worker to fill the job.
  • Proof of Qualifications You will need to provide proof that you have the necessary qualifications and experience for the job. This may include education certificates, work experience letters, and professional licenses.
  • Provide a Police Clearance Certificate You will need to obtain a police clearance certificate in order to apply for a study permit. This is to ensure that you do not have a criminal background that could pose a risk to Canadian security.
  • Language Proficiency You may be required to demonstrate your proficiency in English or French, depending on the job requirements and the province you will be working in.
  • Medical Exam Depending on the type of work you will be doing, you may need to undergo a medical examination to demonstrate that you are in good health.

There are several types of work permits available, including:

  • Employer-specific work permit This type of work permit is tied to a specific employer and job. You can only work for the employer who has sponsored your work permit.
  • Open work permit An open work permit allows you to work for any employer in Canada, with some exceptions. You do not need a job offer to apply for an open work permit.
  • International Experience Canada (IEC) work permit The IEC program allows young people from certain countries to come to Canada to work and travel. This program has specific eligibility requirements and quotas for each participating country.
  • Post-Graduation work permit If you have graduated from a Canadian educational institution, you may be eligible for a post-graduation work permit. This allows you to work in Canada for up to three years after graduation.
  • Intra-Company Transfer work permit If you work for a company that has operations in Canada, you may be eligible for an Intra-Company Transfer work permit. This allows you to transfer to Canada to work for the Canadian branch of your company.

Work permits are typically issued for a specific period of time, depending on the length of your job contract and the type of work you will be doing. You may be eligible to extend your work permit if your job contract is extended or if you find a new job in Canada.

If you are interested in working in Canada and need help obtaining a work permit, United World Immigration can assist you with the process. Our experienced immigration consultants can guide you through the application process and help you meet the necessary requirements to obtain a work permit in Canada. Contact us today to learn more.